While you might think that the people living in the richest zip codes are spending their time driving around in the custom made Ferraris or six figure luxury town cars, the truth is they are more likely to purchase a production model right from the dealership, just like the rest of us. We were a little sad to learn that they aren’t gravitating more to American made cars, but it was also refreshing to see that vehicles many of us drive are also being driven by those who could easily afford much more.
According to TrueCar.com, the top ten selling vehicles in the wealthiest zip codes are:
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class Luxury Car $51,365 $48,068 6.4%
- BMW 328 Luxury Car $35,795 $34,461 3.7%
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class Luxury Car $36,095 $34,144 5.4%
- Lexus RX Luxury SUV $39,950 $37,628 5.8%
- Toyota Prius Small Car $30,565 $29,525 3.4%
- Volkswagen Jetta Small Car $26,085 $24,978 4.2%
- Honda CR-V Midsize SUV $29,575 $28,875 2.4%
- Honda Accord Midsize Car $23,070 $21,210 8.1%
- Toyota Camry Midsize Car $25,535 $23,871 6.5%
- BMW X5 Luxury SUV $58,595 $54,995 6.1%
Kristen Andersson, Senior Analyst at TrueCar.com said, “Luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Lexus are the top choice for the well-off, but with wealth often comes freedom of choice. The data demonstrates, that wealthy consumers of today make value a top priority as half the vehicles purchased are from mainstream brands including Honda, Toyota, and Volkswagen that offer the best in vehicle amenities and comfort that near those of some luxury models. For affluent buyers who live in places where environmental concerns reign supreme, the Toyota Prius is the ultimate status symbol in eco-luxury.”
While of course you still see vehicles such as Eric Clapton’s stable of sportsters and Donald Trump’s platinum dipped Maybach, knowing that the daily drive is something more reasonable is refreshing to know.
News Source: TrueCar